“Good Day” Features Fashion Academy
The Fashion Academy culminates with a fashion featuring the students’ own designs. The “Good Day” morning show give us a peek. Watch the video!
Here’s a closer look at the Fashion Academy.
(This article was published in the Fall 2018 newsletter from the College of Social Sciences & Interdisciplinary Studies, which is one of our partners in the Summer Academies for High School Students.)
In Summer 2018, Family & Consumer Sciences, in collaboration with the College of Continuing Education, offered the Summer Fashion Academies 2018 to local high school students and was featured on Good Day Sacramento. This academy was a one-week program that offered lessons and activities that examined both the design and business aspects of fashion.
Professor Emeritus and Fashion Academy Instructor Ernie Olson co-lead the academy with Sacramento State instructor Esther Amato. Olson brought out the artistic side of the high school students in learning to sketch fashion designs while Amato built on the students’ artistry with introducing them to design and merchandising.
Over the course of five days, students were able to participate in several enriching activities. They:
- explored and learned how an idea becomes a product and learned how products are marketed and merchandised to the public
- learned the fundamentals of fashion illustration, while rediscovering the art of hand drawing as a tool for creating vibrant and original work
- explored the foundations of fashion design and learned basic design skills
- obtained “hands-on” knowledge from fashion industry professionals, such as fashion designers, jewelry designers, photographers, stylists, and fashion event coordinator
- met other students who share their passion for fashion
- had access to the resources and instructors of a world-class fashion institution
- worked individually and in teams to complete a variety of creative project
- produced a collective student driven fashion showcase and celebration to end the week
The academy included a Final Fashion Academy Showcase held at the University Union where students’ design creations and fashion illustration collections were presented to a guest audience. This allowed the students to not only showcase their creativity, but gave them a platform on which to build a sense of confidence and pave the way for professional opportunities.
Here’s a link to the College of Social Sciences & Interdisciplinary Studies Fall 2018 newsletter in its entirety.